Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Facecam Importance
When watching someone stream, is facecam important or essential to you?  I ask this because I've been doing a lot of thinking.  I have this person that has watched me stream since I first started.  She used to be able to watch when I streamed at 540p without any hiccups, but now that I'm at 720p she buffers every minute or so and somehow still sticks around to chat (AMAZING VIEWER RIGHT THERE!).  Being a stream that isn't partnered and one that doesn't get the numbers to have to quality options for viewers makes this a rough decision.
     I know she can't be the only one out there with internet not good enough to keep up with a high res stream, so if I were to bump it back down and turn off facecam (since it'd be blurry at that point) I feel more people would be able to watch flawlessly.  Now this is simple for me because I stream retro games a lot and it wouldn't really affect much with the cam being off.  So yeah, tell me your thoughts on the streamer having a webcam so I can get some solid feedback on this.  I might decide to try it for a week anyway and see how things turn out.
540p isn't that big of a hit, honestly. I believe that Zorvax currently streams at that, and his cam and games still look fantastic. It's given me some pause as to if I should do the same thing, since Twitch has been having issues lately and I'd rather make my stream as accessible as possible. Great question! Looking forward to some other viewpoints.
Jaarka is correct, I stream in 540p without much issue. I personally had issues with dropping frames and to fix it I needed to drop my res to 540 and bitrate to 1600.

As far as the importance of a face cam, that's hard to say. Statistically streams with a cam do better, but there are several people who thrive without one (LIRIK and MrMoon come to mind).

That all being said, it's your stream and you need to run it the way you want to. Making changes only for the sake of a viewer, no matter how loyal, could leave you endlessly changing things to appease everyone. If it's something you feel would improve your stream and viewer range, it never hurts to try it for a bit and see what happens!
(24-07-2016, 21:04)Zorvax Wrote: Jaarka is correct, I stream in 540p without much issue. I personally had issues with dropping frames and to fix it I needed to drop my res to 540 and bitrate to 1600.

As far as the importance of a face cam, that's hard to say. Statistically streams with a cam do better, but there are several people who thrive without one (LIRIK and MrMoon come to mind).

That all being said, it's your stream and you need to run it the way you want to. Making changes only for the sake of a viewer, no matter how loyal, could leave you endlessly changing things to appease everyone. If it's something you feel would improve your stream and viewer range, it never hurts to try it for a bit and see what happens!

Copypaste

This!
Anything's a double entendre if you push hard enough. So I gave it to her.
(24-07-2016, 21:04)Zorvax Wrote: Jaarka is correct, I stream in 540p without much issue. I personally had issues with dropping frames and to fix it I needed to drop my res to 540 and bitrate to 1600.

Maybe I should look into to pushing my stream down to that? I could probably cut down on stuttering, but do you keep your base resolution at what you monitor screen is using?

I believe FlareRDB/Citrine also doesn't use a facecam and they have a very large following. Though they do have their mascot Boopie, which is the reason I've been kind of looking to make a mascot of sorts for my stream. Though the "pokemon"-esce mascot was a funny idea, I think I'm going to make an altered version of the clicking spirits of Princess Monoke, but use a water molecule as a head. I'm still doodling ideas.
(25-07-2016, 01:46)Hydrothermia Wrote:

Maybe I should look into to pushing my stream down to that? I could probably cut down on stuttering, but do you keep your base resolution at what you monitor screen is using?

I believe FlareRDB/Citrine also doesn't use a facecam and they have a very large following. Though they do have their mascot Boopie, which is the reason I've been kind of looking to make a mascot of sorts for my stream. Though the "pokemon"-esce mascot was a funny idea, I think I'm going to make an altered version of the clicking spirits of Princess Monoke, but use a water molecule as a head. I'm still doodling ideas.

I know we talked about this in my stream but for the benefit of everyone - I play at a base resolution of 1080p. This works best because PC and all my consoles are 1080p, and I can just downscale from there. I would love to do 720p but every time I push my bitrate I start to drop frames, and then I drive my wife crazy complaining about it xD.

Yep you can absolutely stream without a cam and build a great stream. As I said before it's something YOU need to decide if it's best for you, and run with it. A lot of people prefer face cams but it's definitely not a requirement and there a many successful streamers without one.
I used to do better without a Webcam but that was back in the day when I didn't work and could stream many hours a day.

I tend to feel that some games simply work better with cam than others. Overwatch for example I think I spend most of the stream pulling stress faces! Haha. Not really that entertaining.

I'm also a big lover of immersion and I can't stand lots of clutter clogging up a stream when I watch them myself.

I'm there to chat with the stream but also mainly to watch the game I'm interested in and hate when important UI is hidden.

You also need to take into account that at the moment it's Twitch who are alienating your viewers. They need to hurry up and release HTML5 to the public (It's currently limited to Twitch Turbo Subscribers and they have to enable the feature.) as that will fix 99% of peoples issues when watching you. I've had it confirmed by a fair few on my stream already. Flash Player is the cause of most of peoples stuttering at the moment it's truly broken on Twitch.

You can confirm this Valkyrov by pointing your viewer with issues to the LiverStreamer GUI thread on these forums. I'd be surprised if they have any issues watching your stream @720p with that which then also confirms that HTML5 will be fine.

Let me know how you get on.

H
"If It Ain't Broke, Fix It Anyway!"