Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Community Events
Okay so I was giving some thought to the ideas of games we could play with passing the baton, or marathoning, etc... I think great community building comes from interacting with each other in new and unexpected ways, so here a few poorly fleshed-out ideas I would really, really appreciate you all helping me refine or expand upon for an FXYZ community event.

I think all of our community events should involve a charity somehow - it's very easy to make a donations page for Child's Play for instance, and we're not actually involved as the middle man whatsoever!

Anyway here are some ideas:

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Pokemon (Tried and true, and as relevant as ever)
-----------------------------------------------------------

We already have our Dual Nuzlocke challenge but I was looking into this as a Marathon race with hardcore rules or something to make the game a little more unexpected or interesting. I was thinking about some of the different ways we could try to play this game in completely new ways, and had some concepts, seeking refinement:

One Hour Baton-Pass Pokemon Preferential Challenge

(Yes, your Pokemon will be named) Ideally for maybe 3 or 4 players, the save game file is transferred once your hour of playtime is up. The catch is that the file is continued and the next person has a preferred Pokemon of their liking - If you startled with Squirtle but player 2 has done the research and wants a Mankey, they will not use your Pokemon in favor of theirs. That person may have to seek out their Pokemon with your Pokemon before they can progress. No other Pokemon will be caught other than what you opt for. The game will be gated however until one person, with their Pokemon of choice, advances the game via clearing a gym.

This method will require a bit of research so the next player can choose a Preferred Pokemon within the restraints of the areas available to them.

Whatever your Preferred Pokemon is must be in the top slot and used at all times, should it faint you can then defer to Player 2's Pokemon. If all Pokemon faint... then the offending losing player must release their Preferred Pokemon back into the wild and choose a new Champion Pokemon to continue with and level up.

A Memorial for Gary's Raticate

Since the fandom is heavily specualtive that Gary Oak's Raticate died on the S.S. Anne and was buried at the Lavender Town tower, a playthrough en memoriam would attempt to beat Pokemon R/B/Y with just a Raticate.

-----------
Minecraft

-----------

A night where we all agree upon some sort of common goal, such as
  • A Creative Mode night where we attempt to create a logical urban design
  • A Survival Mode Night where if you die, you have to Mark Your Grave and nobody can disturb that area within 3 blocks in any direction. That means building around it! Difficulty would be set appropriately to ensure nobody's slacking off.
  • A persistent world where certain people assume specific roles, such as cook, warrior, engineer, explorer and build a community based around specific jobs and tasks.
  • Etc, etc... community input would be great!
-----------------------
OLDSKOOL GAMEZ
-----------------------

There are more than a few games that just need to be experienced first hand. And in the world of emulation many of them are available to us to try. But I would love to compare notes with a few people as I play any of these games in tandem with another: (SNES only as my brain can't think of anything better than this console's offerings)
  • EarthBound
  • Final Fantasy IV (Never played)
  • Final Fantasy V (Never played)
  • Final Fantasy VI (Played to Death)
  • Chrono Trigger  (Never played)
  • Secret of Mana  (Never played)
  • EVO: Search for Eden  (Never beat but loved what I played!)
  • Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars
  • Super Metroid
  • Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
  • Secret of Evermore
----------------
DARK SOULS
----------------
  • Soul level 1 (can't level up)
  • Pick it up and play with it (whenever you pick up a weapon, you HAVE to use it, until you pick up a new one)
  • Starting equipment only
  • Fist weapons only
  • No shields allowed
--------------
SIDE NOTE
--------------

I think there should be a standardized presentation for all of us, so I'm willing to offering 1080p templates to load into XS/OBS to keep all of us looking the same or at least similar.

Please do not be a lurker! Let's edit and expand this list and these ideas and start tackling them slowly over our time here at FXYZ!
Anything's a double entendre if you push hard enough. So I gave it to her.
Psh. Game Theory did an episode on the Raticate in question.

Quote:A persistent [Minecraft] world where certain people assume specific roles, such as cook, warrior, engineer, explorer and build a community based around specific jobs and tasks.

That would be really cool! I would be way into that.
I'm loving the suggestions for some community-focused events, Rotor! Especially digging the Minecraft ideas - very innovative!

It's late, so I don't have a ton of ideas currently, but one thing needs to be added to your SNES list: Secret of Evermore! It's in the same vein/style of Secret of Mana and it's AMAZING!

EDIT: Oh, almost forgot... Earth Bound roadmap can be found here: https://forum.fangamer.com/forum/Storage...PP-1-Onett (That's part one, but I like the layout of this!)
Dude, I would so be down for a classic SNES rpg. Especially EarthBound or Chrono Trigger or Super Mario RPG. Also thank you for reminding me of EVO. I played that back in college but could not for the life of me remember the name.
I haven't played Pokemon since blue, and I've never played/don't own Minecraft, but I LOVE old school games. I just did a retro month in June where I streamed a ton of old school games, and I had to skip a lot of the RPGs due to their length. I think they'd work really well with Jaarka's Solocial theme of playing to checkpoints.

Another great game for this (don't shoot me Rotor) is Dark Souls. The game has a cult following, tons of fun/interesting challenges, and costs about $20 with all the DLC. It goes on sale for $5-$10 from time to time as well, so the cost of entry is pretty low.

There's oodles of fun challenges like:
Soul level 1 (can't level up)
Pick it up and play with it (whenever you pick up a weapon, you HAVE to use it, until you pick up a new one)
Starting equipment only
Fist weapons only
No shields allowed

...and so on. The game can be very difficulty, sometimes infuriating, but it's a great game and the challenge makes it all the better.
Updated with Dark Souls

Also Alcoholic Titan took up the idea of doing the Raticate playthrough.

Alcoholic Titan - Today at 12:59 PM
Why did you give me this terrible idea

RotorbladeSmoke - Today at 12:59 PM
Hahahahaha

RotorbladeSmoke - Today at 1:00 PM
Raticate ftw

Alcoholic Titan - Today at 1:00 PM
It took me 2 hours to beat the first gym

RotorbladeSmoke - Today at 1:00 PM
Hahahahaha
You're amazing

Alcoholic Titan - Today at 1:00 PM
I did it with a lv 16 ratattata and only won because he failed to use screech twice

RotorbladeSmoke - Today at 1:01 PM
Hahaha

Alcoholic Titan - Today at 1:02 PM
SHIT I FORGOT ABOUT GARY

RotorbladeSmoke - Today at 1:02 PM
Hahahahaha

RotorbladeSmoke - Today at 1:03 PM
You got IcyOne'd

Alcoholic Titan - Today at 1:03 PM
wait overeacted, he was easy
(21-07-2016, 18:04)RotorbladeSmoke Wrote: RotorbladeSmoke - Today at 1:03 PM
You got IcyOne'd

Worth it just for this! Ahaha!

Also, how is EarthBound still not on the master list?!
(22-07-2016, 01:53)Jaarka Wrote:
(21-07-2016, 18:04)RotorbladeSmoke Wrote: RotorbladeSmoke - Today at 1:03 PM
You got IcyOne'd

Worth it just for this! Ahaha!

Also, how is EarthBound still not on the master list?!

I DON'T KNOW FIXED IT
Well up for any of these things! Especially Minecraft and the Retro goodness!
"If It Ain't Broke, Fix It Anyway!"
I'm up for anything, preferring Minecraft at the moment. It's been far too long since we've played that as a group and I think that planning out a village or city would be fun. Just make sure there are enough glass blocks and buckets of water ha ha