Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Assorted tips and tricks for streaming
Thought I'd make a post here for little things I pick up from time to time.

For instance, OBS Studio uses software encoding by default, which wasn't an issue until GTA5 last night, and I switched over to NVENC encoding instead.

Any other little things to mention, post them here!
Anything's a double entendre if you push hard enough. So I gave it to her.
Monitor your ping, always! Stream bitrate may affect your ping.

Overwatch being a prime example. uses more internet bandwidth than most other games. If your internet sucks (like mine) then there might not be enough bandwidth for the game and the stream. Finding a ping readout for any game will help troubleshoot this!

Example: I have a normal ping of about 60ms-70ms. Once the stream turned on, it went up to 200ms-300ms ping. I thought it was specific to Overwatch but it turns out there isn't enough room for Overwatch plus 1700+ bitrate. Once I dropped bitrate to 300 or so my ping didn't budge. Problem not solved, but problem diagnosed.
CBR vs VBR

Just something I noted last night... If you set your bitrate to Variable Bit Rate (VBR) you will lose control over your bitrate settings for your stream.

CBR at 2500, means 2500 max. VBR can go anywhere depending on your settings. last night I streamed GTA5 with VBR on by accident at 5700 bitrate, and during loading screens it'd drop to 600 bitrate... Stream looked awesome, stuttered for everyone...
(30-07-2016, 15:36)RotorbladeSmoke Wrote: Stream looked awesome, stuttered for everyone...

I actually didn't notice a lick of stuttering on my end when I watched. BUT, I don't have a crappy internet service like a lot of people do. With that bitrate you're getting unparalleled crispness (assuming your PC keeps up), but the big deterrent to viewership would be internet services that can't view such an intense data stream.

Still, your accident leads to a good bit of information for us all. Thanks for stumbling across this little gem of info!