Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Streaming Hardware/Software V2.0
I figured I'd start a new thread on this, maybe go into more detail and swap ideas!

Software:

I currently use Xsplit premium, but I had been using OBS studio and will likely go back to it. OBS studio offers a lot of fantastic features and it's free to use, so win/win. I feel like the choice between the two mainly comes down to preference honestly, but after using both pretty extensively I feel OBS studio is the better choice.

My settings for Xsplit/OBS:
Resolution: 1920x1080 downscaled to 1280x720
Bitrate: 2000
FPS: 30

I've recently had issues with my connection to Twitch and had to drop my resolution to 960x540 and bitrate to 1600 to provide a more stable stream for my viewers. It's not as detailed and "crisp" but it's better than the stutter and pixelation I was getting. Lower bitrate also helps viewers with a poor connection since us little guys don't have quality options.

Twitchalerts
Tools for on screen image/sound alerts for following, subscribing, hosting, donating, etc. Has a lot of customization and works pretty well. http://www.twitchalerts.com/

Ankhbot
I've already spread the word quite well about Ankhbot, but it's an amazing tool for small streamers. It has a ton of nifty features and is pretty easy to set-up once you get the hang of it. I won't go into all the gory details but check it out and if you have any questions feel free to ask! http://marcinswierzowski.com/Gallery/Pro...AnkhBotR2/

Tweetdeck
A great little browser extension for Twitter that shows all your Twitter notifications. You can customize it to show your feed, notifications, mentions, activity, etc. Twitter is one of if not the best resource for getting your stream out there, so this has been a huge help for me. Remember to show love to those who tweet/retweet your stream! https://tweetdeck.twitter.com/

Voicemeeter banana
I haven't used this in a little while, but it's a fantastic software audio mixer. It has tons of detailed setting and features, and can be used to improve your vocals while live! I'm not much of an audio expert so I can't say much else, but it's a pretty neat tool! http://vb-audio.pagesperso-orange.fr/Voi...banana.htm

Hardware

My setup is pretty basic, I have a pretty powerful laptop that I use as a streaming PC, and I play games on my desktop/consoles. 

PC specs are
MSI Z77A-G45 Gaming Motherboard
Intel core i5-3570k CPU
Samsung 840 pro 256gb SSD
EVGA Supernova 850w PSU
8gb Corsair 1600 mhz DDR3 RAM
EVGA Nvidia GTX 970 superclocked
NZXT Phantom full tower case

Alienware 17 streaming laptop
Intel Core i7-6700HQ
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970M
16GB DDR4 at 2133MHz RAM
128GB SSD & 1TB HDD

Elgato HD60S Capture card
I've only had this bad boy for just over a month, but it's been amazing. It can capture up to 1080p 60fps video with minimal delay. I use it to capture my PC as well as my consoles via HDMI and USB 3.0. It captures the video output and sends it to the laptop, which then feeds into my streaming software. I was having some issues with my gaming PC handling newer games while streaming, so this way the laptop does all the CPU work for it!

Blue Yeti Microphone
I use a Blue Yeti microphone that I've had for over 6 years and it works really well, the only downside being it picks up tons of background noise. In the summer here it gets SO HOT and the AC sounds like a jet engine in the background. In a quiet room it sounds amazing and crisp though, great entry level mic for video voiceovers.

Logitech C270 webcam
The baby brother to the now infamous Logitech C920. It records a pretty nice picture in 720p, but I wouldn't mind upgrading it sometime soon.

Most of my other equipment/peripherals aren't really worth mentioning, but if you want more details feel free to ask! And let's hear about your setup!
Excellently informative -- thanks for the ideas and reviews! Especially about the Yeti ... I'm looking for something that does an awesome job removing that background noise.
(13-07-2016, 21:19)gothiqvanity Wrote: Excellently informative -- thanks for the ideas and reviews! Especially about the Yeti ... I'm looking for something that does an awesome job removing that background noise.

Thanks Gothiq! Yeah removing background noise can be a real PAIN. I usually try and silence everything in the room but some things are just out of our control. I know with a high quality mic and sound equipment it can be done pretty well, but that's not really helpful to the average streamer. Headset mics actually do a pretty good job of it, but then you can have the problem of a "tinny" sounding voice, mic breathing, popping "plosives" etc. I'm sure someone more educated in audio could probably be more helpful than me though  Big Grin
... and I might just have to go headset because during the hours I'd game, a little girl will be try trying to sleep nearby. So I don't want it all FUS RO DAHH!!!! waking her up. Big Grin
Heyas,

Just to add another useful piece of software to the list, this one runs a test to every Twitch server, although you can refine that down by geographic location if you want.

http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/tech-sup...dth-tester

It requires a stream key, but you can reset that immediately after running the test if that is a worry for you.

M.