Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Streaming Hardware/Software
As most of you know I'm getting prepped to stream on a more consistent schedule leading up to summer, followed by a full-blown daily streaming schedule all summer long. With this in mind, I wanted to start a discussion on streaming hardware and software. What do you like? What fails to meet expectations? Capture cards, game stream, extra programs... let's hit it all and come up with a consensus on what works best!

Software
Currently I am rocking my free year of XSplit, which I rolled back to Win7 specifically to use. I'm not sure if it's still having the massive issues with Win10 that it was in October and November of last year, but I'm hesitant to upgrade again until I'm sure. I've had plenty of experience with OBS as well, and still think it's the best free option on the market.

Hardware
I'm still sporting my LiveGamer HD, but I'm not really sure it's necessary anymore. Sure, if I want to stream a console game then the input is invaluable, but for simply streaming games on my rig? Things like XSplit GameCapture and the OBS equivalent seemed to have fulfilled the niche that I originally purchased the capture card for. The other option would be to install it on a secondary machine (like my wife's) to turn it into a streaming machine separate from the gaming rig. I don't really feel that's a necessity at all.

There are my two cents to get things started, but I'm really hoping to get a dialogue going on this. What do we think works best? What's obsolete or completely optional?
This list will change and be updated.

Software
XSplit - This is the software I currently use to stream. I've gone full circle with Xsplit, I started off using them then switch to OBS but the improvements they have made have been fantastic. It does cost money but it's very stable and well optimized. Like Jaarka I was running Windows 7 and Xsplit but now I've upgraded to Windows 10 and I've had no issues. 

Hardware
Elgato GameCapture HD60 Pro - This is currently the card I use to stream any of my console games. It's an internal card and has incredibly low latency and can capture at 60fps.
Elgato GameCapture HD60 - This is the external portable version of the above. I use it if I travel or I'm at a friends. It's USB 2.0 which is rare for a card that can capture 60fps.
Both of the above cards use Elgato's brilliant software and both are fantastic quality.
"If It Ain't Broke, Fix It Anyway!"
Do you think that the capture cards are worth it for self-system streaming anymore, or only for external devices like consoles?
Honestly I don't really use it for self system streaming. I think they are better used these days for console and if you plan to have a dedicated streaming PC then using one to capture.
Has anyone used OBS recently? How's it running nowadays? Windows 10 support? I remember last time I tried they were working on a Multiplatform version that had some excellent ideas but lacked many features from the original release. Anyone have experience using it?
There are no features lacking really just weird ways of doing things with it now.

For example.

Cropping your webcam is now done on filters and it's a royal pain in the arse compared to how it was done previous.

Everything is there though just hidden better ha
Any recommendations for webcams that my wife won't complain about me buying?  Like 60$ max
(05-04-2016, 23:03)thebriz Wrote: Any recommendations for webcams that my wife won't complain about me buying?  Like 60$ max

The one that Rose I and both use is the Microsoft LifeCam HD 1080p. It's a stellar cam, and it won't break your bank (especially with the price Amazon charges!)
Agree with Jaarka it's a wonderful cam. I'm using a Logitech C920 though which I changed too from the LifeCam purely because the auto focus is a tiny bit better but the big reason being Linux hates the LifeCam! The image was unusable and I tend to enjoy using Linux now and then.

Either of them are at the top of the game.
Just wanted to post an update re Xsplit.

Since upgrading to Windows 10 I've started to experience crashes once again. The Xsplit window will freeze and can't be clicked yet the stream is still live.

Don't go upgrading to 10 again just yet Jaarka.