Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Solocial - Dragon Age: Origins - Awakening
[Image: 04uha6t.png]

Solocial Gaming Presents
Dragon Age: Origins - Awakening
CURRENT CHECKPOINT (Monday, August 8) - Awakening: Kal'Hirol
End: Uh... after Kal'Hirol? Kappa
NOTE: Working on getting the video replays updated. The rest should be up in the next day or two!

Table of Contents

1. What is Solocial Gaming?
  2. Current Game - Dragon Age: Origins
  3. Schedule
  4. Discussion

1. What is Solocial Gaming?
In simplest terms, Solocial is a conjunction of Solo and Social - that is, taking single-player gaming experiences and turning them into social endeavors that we can enjoy as a group. 

How does one accomplish such a feat? Quite easily, actually! By setting up a series of gaming "checkpoints," we can all play the same single-player game at the same pace. Join one of our streamers as they play through to the daily checkpoint and play along, or load up the replay later (whenever your schedule allows!) and participate with the commentary they recorded.

What's the point? Playing games together, of course! Look at your backlog. Go ahead, I'll wait.... nono, the WHOLE thing. I'll still be here... okay, done? Cool. Now, you have a LOT of games you haven't started, let alone finished, ya? If not - good on ya! You're a more efficient and frugal gamer than I. For the rest of us, however, we have TONS of games that we've always wanted to play through, but lacked sufficient motivation to do so. Or, like myself, you've grown more attached to the social aspects of gaming and tend to spend your free time playing multiplayer games with your friends. Sound familiar? Then Solocial Gaming is for you! Let's knock out our backlogs TOGETHER, while enjoying these wonderful stories that we love to play though. Games + Community = Harmony!

2. Current Game - Dragon Age: Origins
Dragon Age: Origins is a role-playing video game developed by BioWare's Edmonton studio and published by Electronic Arts. It is the first game in the Dragon Age franchise. The game was released for Microsoft Windows, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 on November 3, 2009, and for Mac OS X on December 21, 2009. Edge of Reality developed the game's console versions.

Set in the fictional kingdom of Ferelden during a period of civil strife, the game puts the player in the role of a warrior, mage or rogue coming from an elven, human, or dwarven background who must unite the kingdom to fight an impending invasion by demonic forces known as the "Darkspawn". The player character is recruited as a Grey Warden and is tasked to defeat the Archdemon (a being with the soul of an old god in the body of a powerful Dragon) that commands the Darkspawn, and end the catastrophe known as the Blight. The game is played from a third-person perspective that can be shifted to top-down perspective. Throughout the game, players encounter various companions, who play major roles in the game's plot and gameplay and accompany the player throughout the game.

BioWare described Dragon Age: Origins as a "dark heroic fantasy" set in a unique world, and a spiritual successor to their previous Baldur's Gate and Neverwinter Nights franchises. Its setting was inspired by The Lord of the Rings and A Song of Ice & Fire, and was described by BioWare as a mix between high fantasy and low fantasy. Development of the game began in 2002, and lasted over six years. BioWare employed more than 144 voice-actors, and hired Inon Zur to compose the game's music.

Origins received critical acclaim upon release, with praise mostly directed at its story, setting, characters, music and combat system. (description courtesy of Wikipedia)

3. Schedule
Solocial - Dragon Age: Origins begins on Monday, July 4, 2016
Checkpoints will be established on a 3-per-week basis, with all remaining days allocated as "catch-up" opportunities for those whose schedules don't allow them to follow on the specified days. The current schedule follows:

Monday, July 4 - Origin Story (End: Arrival at Ostagar; video replay)
Wednesday, July 6 - Ostagar, Korcari Wilds, and the Tower of Ishal (End: Arrival at Lothering; video replay; bonus video)
Friday, July 8 - Lothering (End: first time in camp; video replay)

Monday, July 11 - The Stone Prisoner Pt 1, Return to Ostagar, and Warden's Keep (End: After completing all 3 locations; video replay)
Wednesday, July 13 - The Circle Tower (End: Party camp after the Fade events; video replay)
Friday, July 15 - Redcliffe (End: Complete the castle events and return to camp; RotorbladeSmoke's video replay)

Monday, July 18 - Denerim (End: After more Urn clues; video replay)
Wednesday, July 20 - Haven (End: Completion of "The Arl of Redcliffe"; video replay)
Friday, July 22 - Brecilian Forest (End: Completion of "Nature of the Beast"; video replay)

Monday, July 25 - Orzammar (Note: Remember to bring Shale!; End: Heading into the Deep Roads; video replay)
Wednesday, July 27 - The Deep Roads and The Stone Prisoner Pt 2 (Pt1:video replay,Pt2:video replay)
Friday, July 29 - The Landsmeet (video replay)

Monday, August 1 - The Final Battle
Wednesday, August 3 - Awakening: Vigil's Keep (End: Before using the World Map)
Friday, August 5 - Awakening: Amaranthine, Wending Wood

Monday, August 8 - Awakening: Kal'Hirol
Wednesday, August 10 - Awakening: The Blackmarsh
Friday, August 12 - Awakening: Finish the Expansion!

Monday, August 15 - Darkspawn Chronicles DLC
Wednesday, August 17 - Leliana's Song DLC
Friday, August 19 - The Golems of Amgarrak DLC

Monday, August 22 - Witch Hunt DLC

4. Discussion
Please post your thoughts, experiences, and opinions of the game and the Solocial experience in this thread as we play! I look forward to adventuring with you all!
I love this idea, I don't know if my schedule will allow for participation but I'm going to see what I can do!
Well, as I've said, I've already played through this game 6 times and that was enough. I'd be happy to discuss it with you as you go along though. I would like to point out however that Leliana's song gives you a reward that you can use in Origins and Awakening and Darkspawn Chronicles takes place during the timeline of the main game, so maybe their placement is off for only playing through once?
Love this idea. Will absolutely be joining in the gaming.
(01-07-2016, 16:06)Melty Wrote: Well, as I've said, I've already played through this game 6 times and that was enough.  I'd be happy to discuss it with you as you go along though.  I would like to point out however that Leliana's song gives you a reward that you can use in Origins and Awakening and Darkspawn Chronicles takes place during the timeline of the main game, so maybe their placement is off for only playing through once?

Not a bad suggestion. The only one that really takes place before the game would be Leliana's Song as far as chronological story stuff. They ALL give items that you can use in the main games, though... so maybe starting with Leliana's Song, then doing Darkspawn Chronicles after the main game's finale (there's a lot of references in there that you'd only get if you played the story through). Awakening can happen before Golems, and Witch Hunt is definitely the end of the Origins story.

What do you guys think? Do Leliana's song first? Or work it in at some point in the middle (after you learn some Liliana background naturally)? Or just keep it at the end?
Bah, double-posting. Sorry, guys, but was hoping for some feedback before now, so I'm gonna bite the bullet and double-post for GREAT JUSTICE!

Here is an excellent link to PC Gamer's 15 Essential Dragon Age Origins Mods.

I plan on using a few of these for my playthrough, most notably the Extra Dog Slot (I love the Mabari!), the Respec Raven, and Dragon Age Redesigned. If you want to mod your game as well, now you have access to the same stuff I'm using!

In general, I will try to keep the mods to a minimum, but some of these are too good to pass on!
Just wanted to note here, that I hated this game but this concept makes me want to play it. And I'm enthusiastic about it!

That's a very, very good thing!
Anything's a double entendre if you push hard enough. So I gave it to her.
Blame Switch, he told me things and so I'm here...

For those of us who are incapable of morning wakefulness, or just plain lazy, can the streaming be recorded somehow? Else, I'm not sure how I'll participate, much.
(05-07-2016, 04:04)Atroposian Wrote: Blame Switch, he told me things and so I'm here...

For those of us who are incapable of morning wakefulness, or just plain lazy, can the streaming be recorded somehow? Else, I'm not sure how I'll participate, much.

Welcome! We're happy to have you with us!

I've highlighted the broadcast from this morning (found here!) and it will show you the chat that happened in Twitch while I was playing. I'll also export it to YouTube, if that's easier for you (but it won't show the chat). Which do you prefer?

Here's the YouTube link, which I also attached to the main post.
First major lesson learned, how to use the battle system for my advantage.

So, today was productive!

https://secure.twitch.tv/rotorbladesmoke/v/76563139
Anything's a double entendre if you push hard enough. So I gave it to her.