Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fragmentation: Or, we need to be united before we can branch
(07-05-2016, 13:39)Jaarka Wrote:
(07-05-2016, 13:06)Melty Wrote: I would love to offer my opinion on this, but I have yet to find any information on how to connect to our Discord server.

https://discord.gg/0y7JPulzTKxRz1KQ

Thank you sir.
(07-05-2016, 16:13)HidYn Wrote:
(07-05-2016, 14:50)Jaarka Wrote: The way I see it, if we DID use Discord for VoIP and Chat, we cut out the need for multiple programs like Mumble and Hangouts. We achieve the same level of communication, but streamline it down to one source.

Nothing will replace Hangouts for me. It's pre-installed on my Phone plus most of my family use it. If I use Discord that's yet another app to install on my phone.

I don't mind Discord for VoIP but I don't see the benefit of having it installed on my phone. I'm on my PC when I have time to game Smile

I am curious as why you need to install it on your phone. You only need to install it on your PC for when you are able to game. Now if you don't have a mic, then I might understand. Though, you can go to any electronics store and buy a cheap one for from 15-20 bucks and the issue would be moot.
[Image: Lupine20.png]
@HidYn It's completely optional, as are all things. I think the Discord app is brilliant, and I enjoy getting the little notification when someone posts to it. That's just like Hangouts, really. But the app is simple and clean, imho.

I'm not saying we SHOULD swap (I enjoy my Hangouts pirate stickers!), just saying that we COULD.
(07-05-2016, 18:14)lupine90 Wrote:
(07-05-2016, 16:13)HidYn Wrote:
(07-05-2016, 14:50)Jaarka Wrote: The way I see it, if we DID use Discord for VoIP and Chat, we cut out the need for multiple programs like Mumble and Hangouts. We achieve the same level of communication, but streamline it down to one source.

Nothing will replace Hangouts for me. It's pre-installed on my Phone plus most of my family use it. If I use Discord that's yet another app to install on my phone.

I don't mind Discord for VoIP but I don't see the benefit of having it installed on my phone. I'm on my PC when I have time to game Smile

I am curious as why you need to install it on your phone. You only need to install it on your PC for when you are able to game. Now if you don't have a mic, then I might understand. Though, you can go to any electronics store and buy a cheap one for from 15-20 bucks and the issue would be moot.

One of the benefits that has been brought up earlier in the thread involved the mobile app.

As for installing it on my PC it's already there that wasn't my point.

I'll consider purchasing a microphone I've been accustomed to using tin cans and a piece of string to communicate Smile

Joking aside I'm totally happy to use Discord for VoIP.

I've actually increased the quality on the server to 96Kbps and it's a marked improvement already my end.
"If It Ain't Broke, Fix It Anyway!"
You know I have to say and this is of course a completely non-technical opinion but I don't like discord, and for all I can see why Switch likes he can turn someone down and there's chat and so on mumble is just a nice little window that could be open on my second monitor and was completely unobtrusive. Today SilentChain, HidYn and I had a game on BattleBorn and it took up virtually my whole screen and in the past I've resized it but if I was streaming it'd be a no-no, you have enough windows open and it'd simply be impractical (and I love purple!). <End Rant>
I think if it isn't broken don't fix it, mumble works we can hear each other and I find it alters your audio to make it clear too, most people also know of it and have it saved and setup already.
I mean I'm no expert on this discord thing but it doesn't seem to fix anything more then mumble already does, I'm sure some have issues getting it to work but there's always a fix somewhere plus some will have Discord issues too.

I say stick in one place unite everyone even if that means reducing the amount of channels and go from there, my thoughts anyway Smile
TJ Cool