Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[SWRPG] Character Creation - An Example
In preparation for the new FFG Star Wars game that I plan to run, I decided that it might help streamline the process of character creation if I did a guided example... so here goes!

Step 1: Character Concept
I decide I want to play a rough-and-tumble war veteran, taking jobs around the Outer Rim in an attempt to keep his ship in working order.

Step 2: Obligation
Now I get to determine my character's starting Obligation. I could roll randomly on the chart, but after looking it over I decide to just pick one that speaks to my character - Responsibility. He feels a strong connection to his ship and his crew, and often times this leads him to making less-than-ideal decisions. Furthermore, he feels responsible for the Imperial oppression throughout the galaxy, as he failed in a decisive battle to push them back. I think about increasing his Obligation score at this step, but decide to wait until later, as it may not be necessary.

Step 3: Selecting a Species
I take a look at the available species (ask your GM!), and decide that I'm going to keep it simple and go with Human. I mark down all of my starting characteristics, special abilities, and thresholds before moving on to the next step.

Species: Human

Characteristics:
Brawn 2
Agility 2
Intellect 2
Cunning 2
Willpower 2
Presence 2

Wound Threshold: 10
Strain Threshold: 10
Starting Experience: 110xp

Special Abilities: Humans start the game with 1 point in two different non-career skills. We don't have a career or skill list yet, so we need to wait to finish this part!

Step 4: Selecting a Career 
Now we're to the fun part - picking what sort of role your character plays in the Galaxy! This is the part that is more a generic label for your character: at their core, what are they? After looking through the available career options (ask your GM!), I decide that the best way to describe our new Human is that of a Smuggler - he's crafty, diverse, and spends most of his life struggling to avoid Imperial entanglements.

My choice of Smuggler gives me eight career skills, which will be cheaper to upgrade throughout the game. The career skills are Coordination, Deception, Knowledge (Underworld), Perception, Piloting (Space), Skulduggery, Streetwise, and Vigilance. I now get to choose four of these skills to put a free rank in - yay for free skills! I decide to go with Perception, Piloting (Space), Streetwise, and Vigilance.

Adding these to the character, he now looks like this:

Career: Smuggler

Characteristics:
Brawn 2
Agility 2
Intellect 2
Cunning 2
Willpower 2
Presence 2

Skills: Perception 1, Piloting (Space) 1, Streetwise 1, Vigilance 1

Special Abilities: It's almost time to pick these two skills, but our Specialization adds more career skills! So... gotta wait some more!

Step 5: Choosing a Specialization
Now we get down to the nitty-gritty. We know that he's a Smuggler and that the galaxy will probably always view him as such. But what is he specifically good at? What's his area of expertise? This is when we choose our specialization, and while we could go with Pilot or Thief, we decide that our Smuggler is really a Scoundrel at heart. Part con artist, part gunslinger, and part cantina brawler, he will be quick-witted, quick on his feet, and most likely quick to get himself into trouble!

This choice gives us an addition four skills that reflect his dynamic nature: Charm, Cool, Deception, and Ranged (Light). I get to put a free point into two of these skills, and I'll go ahead and pick Deception and Ranged (Light) to match his now cocky personality that sometimes leads to needing to shoot-from-the-hip. With this choice complete, we now have a character that looks like this:

Specialization: Scoundrel

Characteristics:
Brawn 2
Agility 2
Intellect 2
Cunning 2
Willpower 2
Presence 2

Special Abilities: We finally know all of our career skills, so we can now pick the two non-career skills that get bonus points! As a reminder, our career skill list includes: Charm, CoolCoordination, Deception, Knowledge (Underworld), Perception, Piloting (Space), Ranged (Light)Skulduggery, Streetwise, and Vigilance. We now get to pick two DIFFERENT skills that are NOT on that list. For this we will keep true to our rough-and-tumble ship captain concept and pick up Brawl as well as Leadership. Now, our skills look like this:

Skills: Brawl 1, Deception 1, Leadership 1, Perception 1, Piloting (Space) 1, Ranged (Light) 1, Streetwise 1, Vigilance 1

Step 6: Investing Experience Points
Now I get to spend the 110xp that I get for being a Human to improve my characteristics, skills, and to buy talents. I start off by spending 30xp to increase my Agility to 3 (he's a naturally gifted pilot and shot, after all!), as well as another 30xp to bump up his Presence to 3 so that he's naturally better at smooth-talking and commanding. 

I now have a remaining total of 50xp to spend on skills and talents. I spend 10xp each to increase Piloting (Space), Ranged (Light), and Vigilance all to rank 2. With my final 20xp I decide to pick out a couple talents from my Scoundrel tree: I start with Black Market Contacts (5xp) and move down into Convincing Demeanor (10xp), then jump back up to snag Quick Draw with my final 5xp.

Characteristics:
Brawn 2
Agility 3
Intellect 2
Cunning 2
Willpower 2
Presence 3

Skills: Brawl 1, Deception 1, Leadership 1, Perception 1, Piloting (Space) 2, Ranged (Light) 2, Streetwise 1, Vigilance 2
Talents: Black Market Contacts 1, Convincing Demeanor 1, Quick Draw

Step 7: Determine Derived Attributes
The four derived attributes are your Wound Threshold, Strain Threshold, Defense, and Soak. The starting threshold was determined way back when I chose my race. Now, we will add our Brawn score to our Wound Threshold and our Willpower to our Strain Threshold. These bump both of our statistics up to:

Wound Threshold: 12
Strain Threshold: 12

Soak is equal to your Brawn score plus any armor modifiers. Since we are yet to purchase any equipment, we simply mark our Soak down as our Brawn score. Defense is a stat directly related to armor, and as such we currently have none!

Soak: 2
Defense: 0

Step 8: Motivation
Similarly to Obligation, Motivation can be rolled randomly on a chart. However, after looking over the options I decide to choose one for my character: Ambition for Freedom. He's been on the losing side of a war and is in constant struggle against "the man" that has knocked him down in life. The Empire is the ruling body, he constantly fights against the system in anyway that he can, regardless of if it's a good idea at the time. This could lead to a simple barroom brawl, or a fierce starship battle that risks his livelihood and his crew.

Step 9: Gear and Appearance
I only start with 500 credits to with which to purchase equipment... which isn't even enough to pick up a heavy blaster pistol, so I decide to increase my starting obligation by +5 to have an extra 1,000 credits to spend - bringing my total to 1,500 credits!

I purchase a Heavy Blaster Pistol for 700 credits and a set of Heavy Clothing for 50 credits. This leaves me with 750 credits remaining. I pick up a Vibroknife for 250 credits, a melee option is never a bad idea if my blaster isn't available. Turning toward miscellaneous gear I pick up a Thermal Cloak for 200 credits, a Backpack for 50, some Extra Reloads for 25, two Stimpacks for a total of 50, a Handheld Comlink for 25, an Emergency Medpac to leave on the ship for 100, and five Rations for 25 credits. This will leave me with plenty of gear, as well as 25 credits in his pocket for whatever comes his way.

The Heavy Clothing adds +1 to his Soak and no Defense, so I make note of that as well as the statistics for each of the weapons he's acquired. He's suited up and ready to go find some paying work!

Soak: 3
Defense: 0

Step 10: Selecting a Ship and Finishing Touches
I decide that my Human is going to be named Ral Meynolds, a human of average height and build with brown eyes and short brown hair. Surprisingly, he doesn't carry any outward signs of battle, no visible scars or injuries - though his sense of duty and his hatred for the Empire and it's established rule are another story. He's slow to trust people, but once they're in his inner circle they might as well be family.

Ral is the captain of a Wayfarer-Class Medium Freighter, the Tranquility, that is a combination of home and workhorse for him and his crew. It might have a strange, ungainly design, but he immediately fell in love with it when he first came across it at a junkyard. His protectiveness of his crew extends to his ship, and it isn't an uncommon site to see him speaking to "her" while at the helm.

With all of this decided, we end up with a final character that looks like this:

Name: Ral Meynolds
Obligation: Responsibility (Magnitude +5)
Motivation: Ambition - Freedom

Characteristics:
Brawn 2
Agility 3
Intellect 2
Cunning 2
Willpower 2
Presence 3

Wound Threshold: 12
Strain Threshold: 12
Defense/Soak: 0/3

Skills: Brawl 1, Deception 1, Leadership 1, Perception 1, Piloting (Space) 2, Ranged (Light) 2, Streetwise 1, Vigilance 2
Talents: Black Market Contacts 1, Convincing Demeanor 1, Quick Draw

Equipment: Heavy Blaster Pistol (Ranged [Light]; Damage 7; Critical 3; Range [Medium]; Stun setting), Vibroknife (Melee; Damage 3; Critical 2; Range [Engaged]; Pierce 2, Vicious 1), Heavy Clothing (Soak +1), Backpack, Thermal Cloak, Extra Reloads, 2 Stimpacks, 1 Comlink (handheld), 1 Emergency Medpack, 5 Ration Packs, 25 credits

Ship: Tranquility, Wayfarer-Class Medium Transport

---

And there we have it! We've built our guy from humble concept beginnings into a gun-totin', bar-brawlin', cargo-runnin' sunovagun! They might take his love and take his land, but they can't take the sky from him! Wink

Hopefully this will help you build your own characters. If you have any questions, ask away!
On a related note, here is an index of content across all three lines (Edge of the Empire, Age of Rebellion, Force and Destiny) including Weapons, Gear, Races, and more.

http://swrpg.viluppo.net/
make sure to add a link to the SW Character Generator!