Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How-To: IRC on Twitch.tv
Information 
I've been using IRC via HexChat (free) to connect to Twitch.tv.

The reason I've been doing this is so that I can use my laptop to chat while watching a Twitch channel on my Roku-driven television. It frees up my mobile device and likewise, keeps the battery on those devices at a level I need them for when I require use of my phone, tablet, et al. Plus while streaming, it might be easier to handle or read chat, too!

So, here's a text file I've written that I thought I'd share here!

Code:
This guide was compiled and shortened/abridged from the documentation found at:
http://help.twitch.tv/customer/portal/articles/1302780-twitch-irc#HexChat

Server:
OLD (don't use):    irc.twitch.tv/6667
NEW (use):        irc.chat.twitch.tv/6667

Username:
Put to use your username in ALL LOWERCASE LETTERS for every username box, even secondaries. Twitch.tv will not recognize usernames input with capital letters.

Password:
This must be an oAuth key, which can be generated from something like:    http://twitchapps.com/tmi/
Using your normal login password WILL NOT WORK -- it must be an integrated oAuth token.

On Connect Auto-Commands:
This command must be ran immediately after connecting:        raw CAP REQ :twitch.tv/membership

The only thing I'd like to find or learn how to make is an auto-suggest/auto-complete option for @-mentions. Within Twitch.tv's chat via their website, any @-mention will begin suggesting chat mates. Keep typing that @-mention and it'll widdle down the choices. Ex: Typing @j will give users Jaarka, Justin, etc but continue typing like @Ja, it'll shorten the list to simply @Jaarka, allowing you to hit Enter to select that suggestion and make that user "pop" to be seen easier.

IRC doesn't offer this out-of-the-box, but many IRC clients allow for scripts to be added to help with things like this topic. Any suggestions for something like that idea?