2 22.22%
Total 9 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Public or Private
Right simple question guys.

Would you rather fragged.xyz be:

Public - Allow guests to view and read posts on the forums.
Private - Require guests to register to view posts on the forums.

If you could also reply to this thread with your reasons that would be great!
"If It Ain't Broke, Fix It Anyway!"
I can see positives for both.

Public - This would also allow search engines to index any popular posts and potentiality drive more members here. We are an open community in my opinion.

Private - Gives us the ability to manage who sees your posts. So if we ban a member in the future they wouldn't be able to just lurk here anymore. This would make us a closed community.
I voted Private, but I'm of two minds about it.

I think the Private I had set up works better than the full site lock-down. People can see that we have categories, but not see the content inside. On the other hand, it also makes it look like an empty forum, so that's the downside.

Maybe if we have a publicly available welcome post with a "Here's what we are, what we do, and why you should join!" message. Make that the only thing people can see at first without registering? Or we just let people lurk. It really doesn't bother me that much. I just don't want the site to get blocked at work. Tongue
I voted Public

Purely going from my own experience I don't think I've ever signed up to a website that forces me too. Our Steam Group is public too Smile

Totally understand but I didn't like showing people categories but then telling them they don't have permission. The way MyBB handles that I think it would just put people off all together.

In my opinion if we decide on Private it's a full lock down like it is right now.

Just my 2 cents.
(01-04-2016, 13:33)HidYn Wrote: I voted Public

Purely going from my own experience I don't think I've ever signed up to a website that forces me too. Our Steam Group is public too Smile

Totally understand but I didn't like showing people categories but then telling them they don't have permission. The way MyBB handles that I think it would just put people off all together.

In my opinion if we decide on Private it's a full lock down like it is right now.

Just my 2 cents.

Might take a little more work, but we could also go into the "selective access" version of the site. Let guests see certain things, but the full site opens up with registration?
I agree with "Selective Access" - Make it clear that, while most of the forum is free for all to view, if you sign up you get access to special members only sections. It'll allow us to post certain content without having to worry about who can see what Smile
I think public would be find for the most part except maybe keep a NSFW section private to not get people in trouble at work? (I can't browse at work anyway so I have no skin in the game there, really.)
(01-04-2016, 18:04)Melty Wrote: I think public would be find for the most part except maybe keep a NSFW section private to not get people in trouble at work?  (I can't browse at work anyway so I have no skin in the game there, really.)

I like this suggestion! +1 for you!
Of course you'd have to quote it so I'd notice the typo. Rolleyes
(01-04-2016, 11:14)HidYn Wrote: Right simple question guys.

Would you rather fragged.xyz be:

Public - Allow guests to view and read posts on the forums.
Private - Require guests to register to view posts on the forums.

If you could also reply to this thread with your reasons that would be great!

From experience, and I've been admin on both public and private communities, it would be better for us to be public. Not just for more traffic but surely if people can see what we're talking about and then sign up we're going to get more contributors that are genuine. If you/we go down the private route, are we going to have time to PERSONALLY validate each individual, and how are we going to do that? And then are there going to be instances of 'banned' individuals and how do we deal with them? How do you police that list (been there done that and its a headache) and if that is not the point then what exactly is? I have always been under the impression that we are trying to build a community of like minded individuals, a united brand even!? If we aren't wanting to expand our current audience then why would we have anything more than the current Hangouts situation??

If, on occasion there are things we want to share then the chances are we would want to share it with the core members of fxyz and for that we still have the private chat on Hangouts (and, I believe the ability to make private threads).

Now speaking from a personal stand point, I'm monitored by people who have nothing better to do than try to catch me out and several members of fxyz know to exactly what kinds of extremes these people will go to, and I'm not the only member of fxyz that is watched, that's not new information. I put on my big girl pants a long while ago regarding my internet presence (writing and gaming) and I refuse to live in the shadows.

There will always be trouble makers and so called trolls, I get them leaving ridiculous reviews on my writing, we get them when we are streaming etc. On fragged you can't 'comment' unless you're a member. That's probably enough of a deterrent and if its not well we can sit back and have a good giggle at the person we have infuriated enough that they have signed up to our community and leave them a nice, to the point reply like we do already.